I recently purchased a Yahama Guitalele, the model known as ‘GL1’. This is a purchase for my son when he is old to start having a go. It’s the size of a ukulele, but it has six strings instead of four.
- Price: I paid £55
- Comes with a small soft case
- Great fun, easy to transport, good for holidays or a spare 5 minutes
- Great for open chords and fingerpicking
- The intonation isn’t perfect
- The sound dies higher up the neck
Overall, I think it is a good investment, my son will enjoy it when he is old enough, and it also functions as good travel guitar. I think for £55 you have to be realistic, it’s not going to be perfect, but it is still a good thing to have. I haven’t always been a big fan of the Uke as I always miss the other two strings, so this is a great mixture of the guitar and the uke, without sacrificing any strings. Great for kids and adults alike.