‘How often should I change my strings?’ – is a question I often get asked. The truth is there is no set amount of time, for every player it will be different. There are a number of factors that affect the longevity of guitar strings with some of them being:
- How much you play the instrument
- Where you store the instrument
- If you wipe down the guitar strings after you have played (This is important for players that sweat a lot when they play!)
- How much you sweat
The following are signs that you need to change your strings:
- The strings aren’t staying in tune
- They have lost their shiny colour/look duller
- You might notice dirty points where the string is tarnished
- They feel rougher
- The tone of your guitar is duller than normal (this is more noticeable on acoustics).
As you become more experienced you will come to spot these signs more easily.