My second foray into creating backing tracks resulted in this 12 bar E blues with a funk/rock feel. It has the following structure:
- Twice round the changes (standard 12 bar blues)
- Twice round the changes with stops on beat 1 of the first four bars
- Once round the changes with a funkier feel
- Twice round the changes where the rhythm parts have changed to a 16th note feel, creating the feeling of doubling the tempo
- Once round the changes with stops on every bar
- Once round the changes with a heavier feel
- Coda (repeat last line 3 times)
I hope people find it useful for practice, the lead breaks hopefully break it up and make it more interesting than just the same feel all the way through. I am trying to create these to feel more like songs to play over than just a backing track. In terms of scales, there are a myriad of options. For me mixolydian works best due to the use of 9th chords instead of plain 7ths.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated or suggestions for future backing tracks as I am trying to do one every month or so.